Monday, June 1, 2015

Memorial Day, Eli's Field Day

The month of May has been solid rain. It has not rained this much in a long, long time. It has been great for our lawn! Here it is looking lush and green. I will post a picture in August for comparison-- it will probably not be quite so verdant.


The kids looked so precious before church on Sunday that I had to take some pictures.


I couldn't pick a favorite. Each was full of character.



On Memorial Day, we decided to break our four-years long tradition of going to the cemetery with my grandparents and take the kids instead to the zoo. It was the first sunny day we've had in awhile, and since Justin had the day off, we made the most of our family time. I did miss going to the cemetery, but I'm sure we will make it out again next year.



Emmeline got so excited about the carousel. She's been on it once before, and when she saw it, she immediately started pointing and saying excitedly, "kitty ride." During what must have felt like interminable waiting for her as we bought our tickets and waited in line, she kept walking up to the gate and in a distressed voice pleading, "Turn." Our turn came, and our sweet little cat girl even got to ride the kitty.


On a side note, Emmie's vocabulary has increased exponentially over the last month or so. She now says lots of 2+ word phrases. "Mommy shirt," "Where Daddy/Kitty/blankie/Lucy go?" "Apple dirty" (she dropped an apple outside the other day) are just some of the things that pop into my mind that I've heard her say.




Later that afternoon, we had a barbecue with my family. My mom made these beautiful jello parfaits that I had to snap a picture of. 



Later that night as we were getting the kids ready for bed, we had an awful scare. I was in the kitchen and Justin was in our bedroom when I heard a loud clap and Eli started screaming. I ran into his room and he was standing on his bed with blood in his mouth. He had trouble explaining right away what had happened, except that he had put something in his mouth that had exploded. He thought at first it had been a glow stick. After he had rinsed his mouth out, I saw that he had a superficial burned/blistered area on the end of his tongue and on the inside of his cheek. 

We called my dad right away to get his advice on whether we should take Eli in. The bleeding had quickly stopped and it didn't look like there would be any need for sutures, so my dad thought it would be alright to just keep an eye on it. We had Eli show us what he had put in his mouth, and it was the string from one of the confetti crackers my sister had given Benjy for his birthday. The string had come loose with the little exploding part still attached. We had a good long talk about it and what Eli should/shouldn't have done in that situation. We also made sure that the confetti crackers were placed under maximum security after that. We're just grateful that the damage wasn't worse. 
 

Tuesday was Eli's field day at school. The kids and I went to cheer him on. He and his classmates did a great job! There were about six or seven different "events" they participated in. Here is Eli with his teammates:



The javelin throw was the last event his class participated in. On his first throw, Eli set the record for farthest throw among his classmates. I caught his second throw on video, where he blew his previous record away. It was so fun to watch! He was a great sport and his whole class did a great job.

No comments:

Post a Comment