I've fallen behind a little on blogging but am going to get caught up. This picture was taken two weeks ago... I was getting Emmie dressed for church, and she and I weren't agreeing on her outfit. She is very stubborn about what she wants and I often struggle with dressing her in weather/occasion appropriate attire. The only way to distract her from her tantrum was to give her a diaper bonnet. She would have been a very adorable pioneer baby.
That was Superbowl Sunday. We drove down to Colorado Springs to watch the game at my mom's house, passing an empty Mile High Stadium on the way.
For posterity's sake, the game was between the Denver Broncos and the Carolina Panthers. What a matchup between two great teams and setup for rivalry within this family! :) It was awesome to see Peyton Manning take the Denver Broncos to victory. My Superbowl haiku (Peyton's nickname is Sheriff):
Sheriff leads the pack
Underdogs who chase the cats
Devour victory
This whole city was on cloud nine all week. Justin attended a parade downtown on Tuesday which was attended by an estimated 1 MILLION people. I can't get over how insane that number is! That's half the population of the Metro area.
The kids have been on a Sequence kick. Emmie can play mostly by herself now, with just a little prompting to remind her when her turn is. These two are fun little game buddies.
They also like to build Jenga Tetris towers in the living room. The odd-shaped pieces add an extra element of challenge.
Since it was the week before Valentine's Day, we made some sugar cookies. Here are the kids helping me in the kitchen, and they have a way of pushing me out completely. I'm just going to hand Eli the recipe next time and let him go for it.
The most fun is rolling and cutting out the cookie dough. This is the first time Emmie has really "helped," and she was very enthusiastic about using the cookie cutters. She couldn't even wait until the dough was rolled out to put her mark on it. I had to do a little more re-rolling than usual.
Wednesday we held a Valentine's themed playgroup at the church. A couple of ladies who came are taking a cake decorating class, so we had some very fancy cupcakes.
Eli had his 7 year checkup on Thursday. The kids insisted on playing hide and seek while we were waiting for the doctor to come in. They went for the hidden-in-plain-sight strategy.
Benjy put on an alien mask that had the doctor cracking up.
Eli is 46 pounds, 25% for weight, 75% for height. Tall and skinny... I think I know another guy like that. ;)
Later that morning, Joy School took a field trip to a roller skating rink. The kids attended a class for 2-5 year olds, so Emmie was old enough to participate. They got to play some games, learn some techniques, and practice skating around. It was a long class (1.5 hours) and the kids were getting tired by the end, but I was proud of them both for doing their best.
After the class, the kids exchanged valentines.
Friday night we watched our friends the Sagers' kids, and Saturday night they watched ours so Justin and I could go out. We had dinner at Rodizio Grill downtown, which was very delicious.
Sunday was Valentine's Day, and I got to speak in church about being peacemakers. I had some pretty good material, some of which came from that very morning and our not so peaceful getting ready for church experience. Sunday mornings are kinda crazy when Justin leaves before eight to get to meetings. I set out cards and treats for each of the kids that morning, and it was fun to watch them open their surprises.
That evening I made a special Valentine's dinner for the family. We had mini beef Wellingtons, bread, steamed carrots, and sparkling cherry juice. It was fun to set a fancy table and have a little more formal of a meal, although with three little kids it was not really very formal.
Funny things the kids have said this week:
- Benjy was talking one day about my mom's dogs, Marley and Aspen. He said, "Remember Marley and has been?"
- I was playing Brain Quest with the kids and I asked Benjy was a baby dog is called. He said, "A dogling?"
- The kids and I were playing Sequence and Eli drew the dragon, whose name is Ulysses. When it came time for him to play the card, he said, "I want to play Useless the dragon."







No comments:
Post a Comment