Sunday, July 10, 2016

Bolder Boulder

Update: This post was written weeks ago but never published because I didn't have the pictures. Hooray, I finally got them uploaded!

This was a few weeks ago now, but I wanted to post about our Memorial Day weekend. Saturday was a fun family day and we got some things done around the house and yard. Monday was Memorial Day, and this year for the first time we went up to Boulder for the annual Bolder Boulder 10K. Justin and I had been planning to run it together, but with the surprise pregnancy, I decided it best not to take any risks. Eli ran in my place, and Benjy and Emmie and I got to cheer on Justin and Eli. I dropped the boys off and they met up with my mom, sisters, Carlos, and Tamma. Here is a picture of them before the race:
After I dropped them off, I parked the car at Boulder High School and pushed the stroller up to Pearl Street where we met up with runners headed toward the stadium. There was a steady stream of runners the whole way; it was like a river of people constantly moving along. 
The kids and I walked the last stretch of the race next to the runners. Every few blocks there was live music, including a pipe band at one corner.
After about an hour, the kids and I arrived at the stadium, and we got ourselves some seats where we could see the runners coming in. We hoped to catch a glimpse of everyone we knew crossing the finish line, but we only ended up seeing Justin and Eli, and that was because they happened to be running right behind a group of firefighters jogging in full uniform. I caught the firefighters on tape and just happened to turn and see Justin and Eli jogging in behind them.
It took awhile to find everyone, but once we had finally met up, we sat together in the stadium to watch the competitive racers cross the finish line and then watch the Memorial Day program. 
This was the first Memorial Day since we've been in Colorado that we didn't go to the cemetery, and I was feeling a little guilty about that. The program that followed the race, however, did a nice job of honoring our United States veterans. It was really cool seeing the paragliders from the different branches of the armed forces come in to the stadium. There were some remarkable stories and biographies shared about different veterans that had fought to protect our country, and it was a very fitting tribute to our armed service men and women on Memorial Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment