Thursday, September 15, 2016

School Continued, Remembering Ben, Fort Collins Temple

A couple weeks ago on Monday I had my 20 week appointment. They did the full anatomy ultrasound, and we're very happy that the baby is growing well and everything seems to be normal. It was hard to stay strong and not find out the gender! We're going to let it be a surprise this time.

School is getting better for Benjy each week. He cried less in the morning the third week, although one day he had a complete breakdown and did not want to go to school at all. I had to persuade him by letting him buy hot lunch that day, which he had been wanting to try. Three dollars was worth it for him to have a good day at school! Eli started doing some testing so his teacher could figure out where to put him for math. I had told her that he had already done second grade math, and I think she could definitely tell he was bored with what the class was working on. Eli was a little anxious about it and kept asking if he was going to get kicked out of school if he did poorly on the tests. Both his teacher and I explained multiple times that he most certainly would not!

My mom's cousin Nancy, whom I stayed with for a month in France when I was in high school and who now lives in Colorado, recently experienced the death of her stepson Ben. Her husband Kevin has three sons by his previous marriage, and Ben is the youngest. Together, Nancy, Kevin, Ben, and his girlfriend Emily opened the City Stacks bookstore three years ago and have been running it together. Ben passed away from liver failure a couple weeks ago. On Friday, we got to attend a memorial gathering at City Stacks to remember Ben. 
That same weekend Justin, the kids, and I got to attend the Fort Collins Temple open house. This was my first time attending a temple open house and it was amazing. It was such a wonderful experience to go through that beautiful building as a whole family, since the kids don't get to go inside the temple once it's dedicated. They really were in awe of it (at least the boys) and Eli wished there were even more rooms to see. We got to take some family pictures outside the temple after our tour.
Some random photos:
 This was one of the boys' after-school diversions: sucking the squishy interior out of grapes and blowing up the skins into grape balloons.
The kids like to make forts using all of the couch cushions upstairs. 
Benjy wrote me this note one day. It says, "Dear Mommy, I tasted a bug. Unfortunately, it tasted bad." (I had to ask him to translate it for me).
 Eli wrote this on our driveway because he said he was trying to show Justin how the letters formed "I am Lord Voldemort." Anyone familiar with Harry Potter who happened to be walking by might have thought it a rather sinister message!
 Little miss Emmeline Rose.
Cuties, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment