Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Jane's Second Week

 Week 2 of Jane! Justin had to go back to work, but he was still able to drop the boys off in the morning. We also were still having meals brought over from Eli's classmates, so we got a nice two-week babymoon. It was tremendously helpful for me to be able to ease back into the routines of regular life. Here are some photos from Jane's second week:

Wearing a diaper from my baby shower. It's cute to see her little body scrunched up the way she was in the womb.
 Some more diapers from my shower. My friends got pretty creative ;)
 Jane is such a good baby. She really only seems to cry when something is wrong, and I am able to soothe her pretty easily by removing the annoying stimulus. From the time we brought her home, she has been sleeping for long stretches in the night. I had to set my alarm at night to wake her up for those first two weeks so that she wouldn't sleep through her feedings. I feel completely spoiled by Jane-- none of my other babies have been this easy. I'll definitely take it though, especially since I can't just "sleep when baby sleeps" like they say you should because I have a toddler running around!
 Big sister is all smiles
 My favorite way to snuggle my babies-- when they're asleep on my chest
 Emme loves to hold Jane
 We signed Eli up for chess club so that he would have something to do while Benjy has orchestra Mondays after school. He said he had a fun time and that he even beat someone (his friend Solly, who joined at the same time). 
 Bright eyes
 The boys participated in the Oral Interpretation Festival at school. They each had to memorize a piece to perform in front of an audience and judges. They each chose poems from Shel Silverstein's Where the Sidewalk Ends and worked on their memorization and delivery for about a week before the performance on Thursday. We kind of got a late start on it with all the busy-ness of having a new baby, but they did a great job of getting it all done. Here is Eli on performance night with Solly:
 Benjy and the other three kindergartners
The boys both did a fantastic job. The judges gave a few special awards, and Benjy got a ribbon for his performance. All of the kids who performed did an awesome job, and there were several kids who had really long selections. Justin and I were really impressed with the caliber of this event. It will definitely be an annual event for our family as long as we're at this school.
I took a couple videos of Jane during the week. It's hard to remember sometimes what a newborn looks and acts like, and I wanted to record it so I can remember. We have started calling her "squeaker" because she makes lots of funny squeaky noises.
 I took this picture of little fashionista Emme on our way to Jane's 2 week appointment on Friday. She has a flair for making the most mismatched patterns look adorable (plus I couldn't get over the sunglasses on her hat). 
 Jane weighed in at 8 pounds 12 ounces, which is a pound above her birthweight. The doctors want babies to be back up to their birthweight by two weeks, so Jane went way above and beyond! It was nice to know she is getting the nourishment she needs. I hadn't been too worried about it because she seemed to be eating well and getting full, but it was nice to have that reassurance.

We had a "friend" birthday party for Eli on Saturday. He really had his heart set on having some friends celebrate with him, and since we had just had Jane, we decided to do the party away from our house. We did it at the Hyland Hills gymnastics center, which turned out to be a lot of fun. The kids had a (supervised) hour on the gymnastics equipment and then an hour for pizza, cake, and presents.
 Sweet sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment