Thursday, January 29, 2015

A Day in the Life, Emmie's Walking and Talking, Picture Wall

I thought I would post what a typical day is like around here. Justin and I try to wake up early to shower and get ready before the kids get up. This week Justin has been getting up earlier than normal and leaving even before the kids wake up because he's extra busy at work. He also has been studying for his SPHR exam, which he takes tomorrow. You're gonna rock it, hon!

The kids usually wake up around 7 and get dressed. I make Eli's lunch and get Emmie dressed and fed while the boys watch PBS kids until 7:30, when they come up and eat breakfast and Eli packs his backpack.  School starts at 8:20 and it takes about 10 minutes to get to his school and go through the drop off lane. Eli likes to get to school early and play on the playground, so we usually leave around 7:55. After we drop off Eli, we come back home and clean up from breakfast and do some laundry or other chores. Then we have "school time." It really takes only about 10 minutes and consists of going over letters on the chalkboard. We practice the letter sounds and writing them, reviewing the letters we've done thus far and adding one new letter. Right now we are on letter I. Then we play a game if Benjy wants to or he just plays with some toys-- today it was Hotwheels Racetrack. Then if we need to go out of the house we do so. Some days I go grocery shopping, Thursday is play group, and Friday is Bella Notte practice.


By the time we get back home it's usually lunchtime, so we have lunch. I like to eat leftovers for lunch, but Benjy usually has a peanut butter jelly sandwich. I give Emmie something similar to what Benjy and I are having-- leftovers, peanut butter toast, lunchmeat, and some fruit and milk. If there is time after lunch and cleanup we play downstairs until nap around one. Then the littles take their nap. This is my "free time." If I am working that night, I take a nap. If I'm not working, in theory I could do something enriching but usually use that time to clean, organize, answer emails, and use the computer. I also try to get dinner prep started, like making a pie crust if we're having quiche, etc. 

The kids wake up anywhere from 2:45 to right up to the time we have to leave to get Eli. We pick Eli up, and if it's nice out we'll play at the park. Wednesdays Eli has music class after school. If it's not nice out, sometimes we'll go to the library but more often we come straight home. After we get home, I get started making dinner while Eli does his homework. I'm so proud of him- he always does his homework first thing without me even asking him. He hates putting it off and wants to get it done right away so he can play. He likes to do his homework at the kitchen table or (as pictured) on the kitchen floor. 


Benjy and Emmie usually play in the kitchen while I'm making dinner. The other day they were picking up toothpicks together, which I thought was cute.


We have dinner between 5 and 6, depending on how hungry the kids are. If we come straight home from school, I give them a snack and they can usually wait until Justin gets home to have dinner. If we stop and do anything after school, they're hungry when they get home and a snack would spoil their dinner, so I will just feed the kids when dinner is ready. After dinner, the kids may take a bath or play. Justin gets home usually around 6 and has dinner with us or plays with the kids. I put Emmie to bed at 6:30, and then we have an hour with the boys until they go to bed around 7:30. We like to read together, play games, and talk about their day. 

After the boys are in bed and the dishes are done, Justin and I have some grownup time. Sometimes we do something together like watch a movie or just hang out. This week he has been studying in the evenings, and I've been working on the blog and other projects. This year, we made a goal to read scriptures together and go to bed earlier. We're reading the New Testament right now, and it's been great to talk about the scriptures together after we've both read them. 

Emmie has started saying "vava" whenever she sees a dog. She used to just make a "fff" sound but it has evolved. She has also started saying "banana." It's so, so cute, that the only way to do it justice is to show a video.


She also has been walking more and more. She took her first steps around her birthday, but she has been still primarily crawling. She is slowly transitioning to walking more, and just this week she has been taking more than six or so steps at a time.



This week I got the picture wall hung in the boys' room. I love the way it turned out, and am thrilled to have the pictures off the floor. :) Some of the frames are still empty but at least I've got them hung where I want. The ideas have been incubating since we moved in over two years ago and I finally got around to executing them. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment