Monday, January 19, 2015

Eli's 6th Birthday

Whew, we just finished a very robotic week. Eli turned six last Saturday (while we were still in Rockford) so this past week we had his birthday celebrations. Thursday my family came over and Eli opened presents from grandparents, aunts, and uncles. The kids helped me make robots to put on the cupcakes. 











Friday Eli got to take a treat in to his school class and have a birthday spotlight. He filled out his "Owl About Me" poster and took it in to show his class (I didn't get a picture before he took it in but I will later). He also got to take in three things for show and tell. He took Robie, his Lego robot, a violin trophy, and a little microphone that changes your voice to make it sound robotic. For his birthday treat I made rice crispy treats with robot faces. 


On Saturday, Eli had his friend birthday party. The theme was (of course) robots, and Eli basically planned the party himself. He wanted to build robots, do a beanbag toss, pin the something on the robot, and have a pinata. So we made it happen! I saved our recycling and had some friends from church save theirs to use for the robot building activity. I took a picture of each kiddo with their robot to send with Eli's thank you notes.

 










Then we did a robot beanbag toss and pin the cog on the robot. 





All the kids said they couldn't see through the blindfold but methinks it's mighty suspicious that the first three cogs all ended up dead center.


The partygoers dined on fruit, veggies, green jello, and pizza. Benjy snuck the jello in my shopping cart the other day, and when I saw it ring up I figured we could make it part of the party somehow. I think the kids were calling it "green robot slime."


Mostly because I wasn't thinking ahead enough to order a robot pinata, I ended up making one out of recyclables and stringing it with twine. I had some reservations about the whole pinata thing initially, not only because it would involve putting baseball bats into the hands of six year olds, but also because I didn't want to fill it with a bunch of candy or knickknacks that would end up in the trash. Eli wanted it pretty badly though, so I compromised and filled the pinata with a limited amount of candy (most of which was from our Christmas stash, ha!) and we rationed it out when the pinata broke open. 




The appendages got knocked off pretty quickly, but the box survived several rounds of hits. Eli finally bashed in its front and then it got knocked off the string soon thereafter. 





I got the idea for the cake from some genius person on Pinterest. It didn't involve fondant or anything fancy, so it was really simple to put together.






 

Happy birthday to our wonderful Eli bear!


No comments:

Post a Comment